Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Day Two: Bakersfield, CA to Flagstaff, AZ via Grand Canyon National Park (596 miles)

Before I commence with the update, I just need to say that we're looking for comments to let us know that you're reading this. Michelle can check the site from her phone while we're driving, and it's always nice to get some feedback while we're on the road. Just click on the "comments" link at the end of this post. OK, enough begging...

Our journey started at about 9:30 this morning with a trip through the barren wasteland that is the Mojave Desert. Once again, temperatures outside reached 103 degrees. The scenery was pretty interesting for about 30 seconds (you've seen one strange bush and cactus, you've seen them all). Michelle and the dog then fell asleep after taking some pictures of the desert and the numerous wind farms.

Our first stop of the day for food, gas, and Charley's bathroom break was a friggin' Dairy Queen. It wasn't like a lot of the DQs on the East coast since it also had a full food menu (other than ice cream). I opted for the grilled chicken, Michelle the hamburger/salad combo. Charley and I shared french fries. Michelle surprised me by buying me a doo-rag in the attached convenience store. I surprised both of us by forgetting to take it from our table. There is now someone in Ludlow, California who is the proud owner of a white doo-rag. May God have mercy on his soul.

Michelle Interjects: If a good friend of yours...your BFF...a friend you could drive 3,000 miles with and feel confident that you most likely won't fight too much...bought you a gift, wouldn't you cherish it? When you're standing in the checkout of the DQ, irritated by the level of incompetency around you, and you see something that speaks to you - "Gee, Gary would look friggin' hot in that". You don't even think twice about dropping 1.79 to make your BFF smile. And he leaves it behind. I hope we see that 300 lb trucker, wearing my gift to Gary on his sweaty head, so at least I've made someone happy today.

Oh, I almost forgot. I came close to rear-ending a tractor trailer today. I was about to pass it on my left, so I looked in my side-view mirror as I was about to turn into the lane, and I saw a California Highway Patrol car fast approaching. Not wanting to cut the officer off, I stayed in my lane, and had to break heavily to avoid hitting the truck. Luckily, nothing happened (except for all of our earthly possessions in the backseat flying forward - including Charley). Michelle was good about it though...she didn't yell at me, and she climbed into the back to make everything good as new. What a gal!

After some should we/should we not debate, we decided on checking out the Grand Canyon, as Michelle and Charley had never seen it before. It really wasn't that much of a "detour", so we reserved a hotel in Flagstaff, AZ, and headed over to Grand Canyon National Park. It's funny...the Grand Canyon is simply amazing and stunning and immense. But if you're not hiking down it, or going whitewater rafting on the Colorado, you can get a little tired of staring at it after a while. So we stared, stared some more, took some photos, and then headed to the hotel.

Charley has really been phenomenal so far. He's great in the car as long as he gets a pit-stop every three hours or so. He's also a minor celebrity, as everyone who sees him tells him how adorable he is, and (if he's feeling up to it) gets to rub his belly. He has been the cultural bridge to the social gap this roadtrip represents, giving Michelle and I the opportunity to talk with a bunch of people that we most likely wouldn't have. Of course, after a long day of schmoozing and glad-handing, Charley deserves a little R&R in the back seat of the TrailBlazer.
2 states down, 6 to go...





8 comments:

Ron said...

Dudes,

Reading and enjoying. First thing I did when I got into work. I and not not not a workaholic.

A white doo rag is a hanky. Don't start wearing hankys or doo rags on your head.

Try to stay cool and cool. I know it is hard.

Your friend Ron

Anonymous said...

i'm telling you, gary...you HAVE to go to in 'n out burger. do it!

-kris

Anonymous said...

Enjoy reading your adventures and look forward to the next entries. BTW, DQ's here back east have food and stuff other then ice cream too...make a side trip out to PA and we'll hit one for lunch ;) Have a safe trip - Dana PS - Hope Charley is feeling better after his thoughtful gift was tossed aside like a used napkin...

Anonymous said...

Damn this is funny and ONLY you guys would think to keep this "diary" so you can review it in the years to come! Next up Charley will be writing down his thoughts!! Drive safe and missing you Warvel Warvel.
Blake and his Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

I'd like to say that reading this blog allows me to vicariously live out my dream to go cross country, but instead I find myself feeling more like a voyeur, sneaking a peak at my computer from time to time to see what you three are up to. Please, please keep updating, you naughty kids...

--Chris (Don't tell Katie about this obsession)

Anonymous said...

Gary sounds like you did not enjoy the Grand Canyon, but it could have been worse; Michelle could have pushed you into it & Charley could have eaten your remains. Ron & I are enjoying your adventures, we are living through you right now. Hope you have a safe trip. Try to find something more interesting than Taco Bell & DQ.

Kellie

Jennifer said...

I love it! It's great reading. Charlie looks like he's having fun. I challenge you to take a photo of the traveling family in front of the following:

a metal dinosaur
a gnome
any sign of alien life or hidden alien life by the government
and once you get to texas a hot cowboy

JFTB

Anonymous said...

You lost your Do-Rag? You big chump!

I issue you another challenge:

Find Pickle Twang; Enjoy it with a warm can of Tecate. Bring Pickle Twang back to NJ; Enjoy with me and the Dempseys at the beach. Mmmmm.... pickle twang...

Oh yeah: Eat an entire sno-ball cupcake in one bite. Not as easy as it sounds, trust me...

Hey -- how about Metric and Crystal Castles on Friday, Sept. 21? I say YES to EVERYTHING!

John C.

Traffic Update: Stay away from freeway bridges over the Mississippi in Minnesota. They're a BAD idea...